Introducing our Philadelphia Community Manager, Carrie Estok

Thursday, December 15, 2011 | 6:14 AM

Labels:

Hey there, Philly!

My name is Carrie Estok and I’m incredibly excited to be your Philadelphia community manager for Google Places. I’ll be helping to spread the love about all of the awesome local businesses we can’t get enough of; if you love this city as much as I do, you know there’s so much to rate and review. We’ll also be getting together often for fun community activities, so get ready to explore the city and discover some new places along the way.
 

A little bit about me, just in case you’re curious: I grew up in Kentucky and North Carolina, and while I’ll always be a southern girl at heart, I knew I belonged in the city. After a few years in NYC, I moved to Philly and worked in PR, picking up freelance writing gigs along the way. I’ve spent the last few years as a community manager and social media nerd, hanging out on Twitter (you may know me as @cupcakie), taking lots of photos and eating and drinking my way through town.

Speaking of, one of my all-time favorite spots for a bite to eat and a fantastic glass of wine has got to be Tria. You don’t have to be an oenophile to love it, though; each week they hold “Sunday School,” where you can try a new wine, cheese and beer for super low prices. When I’m in the mood for a low-key pint with friends, I head over to Pub on Passyunk East, Standard Tap or The Abbaye. Their craft beer selection never lets me down and I can always count on a good soundtrack to boot!

I’m obsessed with music, so I’ve been spending a lot of time at Union Transfer lately, checking out shows by my many of my favorite artists (Recently I’ve seen Tuneyards, Odd Future and Los Campesinos! and I can’t wait to see who plays next). And if you’re into records at all, the vinyl selection at A.K.A. Music is absolutely worth checking out. 
 

With all of the running around town I do, staying caffeinated is key; I love the tea selection at Grindcore House in South Philly. It’s a vegan coffeehouse but don’t let that freak you out; their pastries are among the best in the city and the service is always friendly. For more sweet treats, try the cupcakes at Flying Monkey Patisserie, frozen delights at Capogiro and cookies at Whipped Bake Shop. (I don’t know who enjoys these places more - me or my kids!) But when it’s time for a proper meal, you’ll find me cleaning my plate at Khyber Pass Pub, enjoying take out from Tiffin and brunching it up at Cafe Lift.

Now it’s your turn; I want to learn about the local places you love the most, from coffee shops to bars, food trucks to fancy restaurants. Share your faves by reviewing them on Google Places or tweet me at @GooglePhilly, where you can also stay up to date on all the local Philly goodness, like upcoming activities, deals, giveaways and more. Let’s do this!

Posted by Carrie Estok, Philadelphia community manager

7 comments:

Cherie said...

Google and Philly are so lucky! Another reason to move back to the City of Brotherly Love.

Dave H. said...

Go Carrie!

Carrie said...

Thanks guys! Wish you were here to celebrate with us!

jeremiah733 said...

Yo Rock, Carrie!

jeremiah733 said...

You rock, Carrie!

herbacidal maniac said...

Nice to see you here, happy to see you build the community.

BradyDale said...

I had no clue Google had any physical presence here. That is so cool! I just followed you on G+! Looking forward to following your work!

Tria rocks! My GF and me had our first date there and it's another good friend of mine and I's official meet-up spot.